Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Homophobia... keeping the dream alive

let me tell you a story...
Sunday...
Adam, Makiko, Stephanie and I ventured
out to Virginia Center Commons mall...
I had nothing to buy but was there for fun ..
so skip to like 45 minutes into the trip....
I'm feeling hungry and duh FOOD COURT... so we head to the food court.. and I head to get some pizza a little ahead of the others...
well I'm walking and almost to the counter to order when I hear someone yell "Fag!"... so I turn around and it's a gorup of 4 teens( 3 white, one black and all about 15)... and I smile and just turn around...

as the others walk up I tell them and we all stand there discussing it for like a minute and Stephanie is pissed.. and the one black kid comes up and says "don't worry about them,. they are being dumb." and Stephanie says " they need to not be disrespectful". and one of them says "Fag" again...

at this point I'm feeling alot of different emotions...like here we are in 2006 and it's still ok for that to happen... and these fucking kids have no idea what they are doing... and they don't care... it hurt my feelings and made me feel like I was in high school again... i wanted to scream and cry and also throw something at them....

but I decided to get security to teach them a lesson... of course security was an older white male, and he probably felt the same as them... but regardless he went and told them something...and left...and they sat there and continued eating.... so all this time I'm just getting more upset about it... and I hate pulling the "gay card." but I'm gonna fucking pull it....
if they had called a black person the "n" word or used some other racial or religious slur they would have been kicked out of the mall immediatley...

and that is why I wrote Simon malls a letter addressing that issue.. though I am glad they put the effort out to talk to them... I feel that it is treated as a slap on the hand... someone using that term in such a way should be kicked out. end of story... why is it so freaking acceptable in most situations to say fag... and not say all other terms...

I'll write when/if they respond...
in the mean time i hope those kids open their minds to something different and realize they are assholes...although I'm sure they are just products of shitty homophobic households...
why does it have to be like this?
why did that one kid have to be so fat and with acne and braces?
why didn't I call him "pizza brace face"?

No comments: