Thursday, February 19, 2009

Drake ...So Far Gone ...


This week I have not been able to stop listening to the Drake mix-tape. Knowing Drake off of Degrassi I was really not expecting too much. However Drake surprises me on pretty much every track. He has skill as a rapper and singer. At times he's reminiscent of R. Kelly and others Lil Wayne(appearing on multiple tracks. Honestly this is the best album I've heard in a long time and it's only the mix-tape. Drake shows he is able to fit easily into pretty much any type of record you throw at him. The perfect Best I Ever Had should be on the radio right now. I can picture it going off in the club when they play that. It goes down smooth as a Malibu cranberry tonight after work. Drake shows his hipster appeal with the Peter Bjorn & John sampling Let's Call It Off and Santogold & Lil' Wayne featuring Unstoppable.



The Lloyd assisted A Night Off ,with it's lover boy confidence and thump, is definitely my favorite. Think Promise having sexy with Nice and Slow Lloyd's' voice rides the beat to full orgasm in one gorgeous verse. There is something in Drake's delivery that's making it work for me. I really feel he "knows what to do with it." Damn. In ways the song has a slightly homosexual feel, or maybe it's wishful thinking.



The album has various moments that remind me of early Timbaland production (Missy/Ginuwine/Aaliyah). None more than Bria's Interlude featuring Omarion. On Lust For Life I was half expecting a P.M. Dawn feature. The song is beautiful. Seriously he is pretty fearless on this and it pays off. You can catch Drake riding dirty on November 18th. On the track Drake talks about his dick like it's a gift and after listening to this mixtape I'm in no position to argue.

Download the mix here

No comments: